BGCSTC History: Clark Street
On December 12, 1955 the Club began serving St. Charles boys at its original location on Clark Street. Local citizens fixed up an old house as a safe place for young men to gather. The Club wanted to help one youth, one life, at a time.
It was not long before the community saw their efforts in reducing juvenile delinquency in the area. Volunteer-led football, basketball, and baseball teams were organized with the help of the first Executive Director, Joe Dulin. The boys also worked on arts and crafts, woodworking, storytelling, music, and a newspaper.
Membership soon exceeded capacity of the old house. The community was very pleased with the growth of the Club. In March 1960, a “kick off” dinner was held to raise funds for a new Club. Volunteers began building soon after. Area carpenters, electricians, masons, and many others worked on evenings and weekends to make the new Club a reality. Local businesses and friends donated most of the construction materials.
On December 16, 1962, the community dedicated the new building. Membership and programs were able to grow at a much faster rate. This building was home to BGCSTC for over 50 years.
In 1990, the Board of Directors voted to build a second unit to reach the youth living in the St. Peters/O’Fallon area. The community moved quickly, and the O’Fallon Unit opened its doors in 1992 – only two years later.
On June 9, 2014, the St. Charles Unit moved from its deteriorating Olive Street location to its current facility.
Boys and Girls Clubs of St. Charles County has played an integral part in the community for the past 60 years, providing hope and opportunity to our youth. We have shaped the lives of four generations of St. Charles families.